Lighting is important for a planted aquarium. However, plants require fewer resources in low-light conditions, which is the primary intention for low-tech planted tanks. It’s critical to select lights that don’t shine too brightly.
Probably you’re inquiring whether you need a light at all. Yes, that’s what we are going to clarify. A light is not only helpful in seeing and enjoying your aquarium but it is also required for plant growth. Just be careful not to overdo it. You’re good to go as long as you’re not splashing out on aquarium lights.
Tips: Keep the lights on for at least eight to ten hours each day. This is sufficient for the plants, and if you leave them on for an extended period, algae may begin to grow more rapidly.
With a low-tech planted tank, you may save money on lighting by using an inexpensive light or even the one that comes with your aquarium. But not all aquarium kits come with built-in lighting. So, we’ve sorted 5 picks to find the best light for low-tech planted tank in this article.
Best Light For Low Tech Planted Tank Review
The Beamswork EA White Blue LED fixture is installed with 0.50W LEDs to provide ample lighting for your aquarium, and the extendable brackets make it easy to adjust to your aquarium’s length.
This product comes equipped with various features, such as a blue LED design that simulates natural sunlight and helps put your fish at ease. Plus, it’s budget-friendly without skimping on quality or performance.
- Lumen: 700 (12x 10000K, 3x Actinic 460nm)
- Fixture Dimension: 11.25" x 4.75" x 0.75"
- Timer Ready, 2 Mode Day/Night Extendable
- Suitable for freshwwater, cichlid, tropical fish, FOWLR
- 1 Year Warranty*
The long-lasting LEDs mean you’ll never have to replace a bulb! The light is also timer-ready, so you can use it with the Beamswork Timer Module (sold separately).
This affordable light is perfect for beginner aquarium owners, providing ample lighting and full-spectrum coverage to help your fish colors pop. Plus, it’s energy-efficient and built to last, making it a wise investment for any aquarium owner.
Looking for a way to add some excitement to your aquarium? Check out the NICREW Clip on Aquarium Light! This clip light allows accurate views of plants, invertebrates, and fish in their natural colors.
The best part? The LEDs change color depending on the time of day – white and blue for daylight mode and red and blue for nightlight mode.
The Clip-On Aquarium Light from NICREW is the ideal solution for folks who wish to add more natural lighting to their aquarium without spending hundreds of dollars. It comes with an integrated reflector that directs more light downward, reducing glare and enhancing lighting.
- The clip light allows accurate views of plants, invertebrates and fish in their natural colors
- Features white, blue and red LEDs for daylight mode and blue LEDs only for a nightlight mode
- Easily mounts on and secured to the glass of framed or frameless aquariums up to 5/8'' with the clip on bracket design
- 30 super bright LEDs help to bring out optimal colors for your fish and produce amazing shimmer to your aquarium
- This clamp aquarium light is suitable for planted tanks from 2.5 to 5 gallons
This light easily mounts on and is secured to the glass of framed or frameless aquariums up to 5/8″. With 30 super-quality LEDs, it helps bring out optimal colors for your fish and produce amazing shimmer in your aquarium. The clamp design makes it suitable for planted tanks from 2.5 to 5 gallons.
So whether you’re looking to add a splash of color to your aquarium during the day or create a magical underwater world at night, the NICREW Clip on Aquarium Light is the perfect solution!
Relevant product review: NICREW LED – Planted Aquarium Light Review, Recent Update
Looking to take your low-tech underwater aquarium viewing experience to a new level? Look no further than MingDak’s LED Submersible Aquarium Light. This upgrade features brighter, longer-lasting RGB light beads that will dazzle onlookers and save energy consumption.
This fantastic product lets you add LEDs to your aquarium background, giving you a completely customizable look for your fishy friends’ home. You can choose from 16 different colors and four various light modes, so you’re sure to find the perfect combination for your tank. And each color is individually dimmable, so you can really get creative with your color patterns.
- UP GRADE LIGHT: Up graded RGB light beads brighter than others, long life span and energy saving;Upgraded suction cups...
- AQUARIUM BACKGROUND LIGHT: Install led light behind aquarium, background lighting create a stunning sunset, a vivid...
- FISH AQUARIUM LIGHT: Submersive or above water mount ,brightly illuminate your fish with dazzling colors you choose,...
- AMBIANCE LIGHT: The brilliant lighting colors put yourself in the mood to focus, be creative, or simply relax and...
- REMOTE CONTROL: With 16 solid colors and 4 various light modes, wireless remote control allows you to dial-in whatever...
This light is perfect for your underwater environment. The bright LEDs bring life to your aquarium, and the IP68 waterproofing means you can set it up however you like. Just be careful with the power source, IR sensor, and control- they’re not waterproof!
Adjusting the colors is super easy with the included remote controller. In addition, the upgraded suction cups give you endless mounting possibilities – whether submerged or above water. So dive into the fun of customizing your aquarium like never before with the MingDak LED Submersible Aquarium Light!
Say hello to DOCEAN Aquarium Lighting! This new and improved lighting system is controlled via APP and offers 6 classic and 6 standard colors. You can also change the RGB sequence of the led aquarium light and convert any color you want.
Not only is it a cool and unique way to light up your space, but you can also sync it to music! Yes, that’s right – our aquarium lighting will flash and change colors in time with any sound it picks up from the receiver. So whether you’re throwing a party or just relaxing at home, your aquarium can provide the perfect ambiance.
- 🐟APP CONTROL AQUARIUM LIGHT: New upgrade, APP-controlled fish tank lights, can use the mobile phone to control the...
- 🐟WORKING MODES: Control with APP includes 6 classic colors and 6 common colors can be directly selected. it also can...
- 🐟MUSIC SYNC: With the built-in advanced sound sensor, When you set “Music Mode”, aquarium led light will sync any...
- 🐟WATERPROOF & WEARPROOF: The IP68 waterproof fish tank light can be submerged in water without any damage. And the...
- 🐟ULTRA BRIGHT: Compared with other led lights for aquariums, our 5050RGB lamp beads is more brighter, energy...
This product is waterproof. The IP68 waterproof fish tank light can be submerged in water without any damage, and the explosion protection acrylic glass provides more transparent and safer light for your aquariums.
The timed function means you don’t have to worry about turning it on and off – it will do it all itself! Plus, there are 28 dynamic effects with adjustable speed and adjustable brightness. So whether you’re looking to create a calming or vibrant atmosphere in your home, DOCEAN Aquarium Lighting has you covered.
Introducing the Hygger Blue White LED Aquarium Light – perfect for adding some extra shimmer and light to your fish tank. This top-quality LED light features 45 LEDs, providing ample brightness for your fish’s healthy and growth-supporting environment.
There are also two lighting modes – white for daytime and blue for nighttime – to customize your aquarium lighting exactly how you want it. Add some personality and pizzazz to your fish tank with the Hygger Blue White LED Aquarium Light!
- ✔ SUPER BRIGHT LED FISH TANK LIGHT -- Premium 45 LED in total to produce amazing shimmer effect to your aquarium...
- ✔ TWO LIGHTING MODES -- White and blue LED for daylight, blue LED for nightlight.
- ✔ SLEEK DESIGN -- Ultra-thin aluminium alloy and plastic shell ensures excellent heat dissipation, while acrylic...
- ✔ FLEXIBLE GOOSENECK CLAMP – Adjustable clamp allows for flexibility in fitting varied angle and position by...
- ✔ WIDE APPLICATION – Hygger led aquarium light is ideal for freshwater or saltwater aquariums and aquatic...
This ultra-thin light is made from aluminum alloy and plastic for excellent heat dissipation and features an acrylic casing that is splash resistant.
The flexible gooseneck clamp allows you to adjust the angle and position of the light, making it perfect for freshwater or saltwater aquariums. Plus, the broad application means you can use it for aquatic plants.
Installing this lamp is a cinch. It’s as simple as turning it on by clamping the light to the tank’s rim. The gooseneck clamp on Tiy’s lens can be gently turned to alter the lens’s angle of focus. As a result, aquariums look better with two different lighting effects.
Relevant product review: Hygger 24/7 Mode Submersible Aquarium LED Light Review
Suitable Plants For Low-Tech Aquariums
You’ll want to keep to the following list of plants when it comes to selecting the proper plants:
I won’t get into the nitty-gritty of each plant here. Instead, please check out my article “15 Best Aquarium Plants To Reduce Nitrates – They Are Excellent!”
There is a common thread among the plants on this list – they thrive in low light and do not require additional CO2 injections.
Java Fern is a slow-growing plant with low fertilizer requirements. Cryptocoryne and Anubias are also included in this category, as are many other plants. However, Cryptocoryne is one of my favorite low-tech plants based on my own experience.
Cryptocoryne plants come in various shapes, sizes, and colors. The genus Cryptocoryne (or crypt for short) has multiple variants. Many of these types can be found at a local fish store and are suitable for low-tech tanks.
Another thing to remember is that both Java Ferns and Anubias plants don’t get their nutrition from their roots. So keep the roots out of your soil and instead attach them to a piece of wood or rock. They feed by sucking water directly out of the water.
Always notify the store that you’re purchasing plants for a low-tech tank when you go to buy them.
How Many Hours Of Light For A Low-Tech Planted Tank?
Keep the lights on for at least eight to ten hours each day. Setting your lighting time for longer than 6 hours in newly planted aquarium set-ups. You should reduce the amount of light you use to keep algae at bay for the first month.
How Much Light Do You Need For A Low-Tech Tank?
A light level of 30-50 Umols of light should be adequate as a starting point. Having more light means less room for tank maintenance to keep it free of algae.
Is CO2 Necessary For Planted Aquariums?
CO2 is a crucial component of a planted aquarium. It is required for respiration and growth in all aquatic plants, and it is utilized in a process known as photosynthesis.
Plants need a constant supply of CO2 throughout the day or they will suffer. CO2 occurs naturally in aquariums, and no one considers supplementing it in low-tech environments.
More on Planted Aquarium Lighting:
- Best LED Aquarium Lights for 5-Gallon Planted Tanks.
- 10-Gallon Planted Tanks: What’s the best Light You Can Buy
So, if you’re looking for an easy and affordable way to set up a low-tech planted tank, consider using one of the lights we’ve suggested. And don’t forget to leave any questions in the comments below – we love hearing from our readers!